Saturday, February 2, 2013

Back to the early Renaissance

After much thinking last night i decided that instead of pushing forward with the 13th Century project I would ditch it and return to my Renaissance armies.....I really should expand my period a bit and my 15th -16th Century Italian Wars stuff has all of the knights i could want really and without the barding!
So this afternoon i glued some pike from the Perry's Mercenaries box which are to be used as provinical pike and some of their lovely mounted men at arms.
The period I have based my Renaissance collection on in around 1506 when Pope Julius II is scheming and plotting to expand the Papal lands at the expense of the Venetians and the French and Spanish are fighting over Naples. When I started my collection it was heavily inspired by two gentlemen in particular's collections.
Stuarts beautiful Tudors and Imperials armies
http://stuartsworkbench.blogspot.com.au/
And James' vast collection and his Pike and Plunder campaign rules (which we have just begun to use at the club, only two turns in)
http://olicanalad.blogspot.com.au/
http://pikeandplunder.vexillia.ltd.uk/

Happily James' new table top rules, Hell Broke Loose,  are in my possession to be playtested which will happen next weekend.

On to my Renaissance collections
First up we have Julius himself the Warrior Pope and his Swiss Guard


Next is a model i shamelessly plagiarised from Stuart but mine is Henry VII is the late 1490s for some fictional campaigns against France plus some Yeomen of the guard.

The we have some generals including a fighting Cardinal and the rest of my collection- still building but i will get there!



A vast majority of my collection was painted by my chum the Cardinal
http://thecardinalspaintingblog.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/painting-service-details.html
The Pope and King Henry painted by my friend Thoran.
I painted the Italian Pike the Landsknecht ( I did have a lot more Landsknecht painted by the Cardinal but I sold them to a mate who has started an Imperial army of the period)some of the heavy Cavalry and a few of the generals plus the artillery and the two Swiss guards on Julius' base.

6 comments:

  1. Most impressive, Your Holiness!

    Must get amongst that lot with a game of Pike n Shotte one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed we shall mate....lets get Gettysburg out of the way and then perhaps later in year we can have a Pike and Shotte game down at Chateau Sparker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you blogging again and tht you're still very much fascinated with this period of the Renaissance.

    That's a good looking army there too plus in going with the early 1500's you open things up to sing a greater variety of figures, plus you can easily play round with conversions and green stuff if you're feeling brave.

    I shall follow with interest - and thanks for your encourgement too !

    All the best

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good; I do love the Italian Wars ear for miniature wargaming!

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest James I have read them and like them but my group is reluctant to try anything new!....Will try to convince someone to have a go!

    ReplyDelete